SmartClient Framework - The Linux Desktop Management Solution
Over 3000 Linux workplaces, 230 locations, 2 administrators with SmartClient
Linux is becoming more widespread in many companies, not only in the area of servers, but as well increasingly in the domain of client systems.
The requirements of a working environment in companies often differ from those of private workplaces. While it is crucial for private users to have as much control as possible over their systems and to be able to install each application, most of the companies prefer the strategy of a central software management. In this respect, it is not the question of getting the application started on ONE computer as quick as possible, but to have a proceeding that ensures the reliable and contemporary allocation of the applications running on EVERY workstation.
In 2001, in order to meet these demands, the SmartClient has been developed for 3000 workstations in 230 locations of the Debeka insurance group.
After that, the SmartClient has been enhanced and adapted to the needs of other customers.
- Directory Service (LDAP)
Single Source of Information for
- User and group management
- Server Services
- Personal computers
- Software/release numbers
- Inventory data
- DNS Integration
- DHCP Integration
- Automated rollout: a SmartClient environment can be set up in the manner that new workstation computers are automatically identified, added to the LDAP and installed together with the respective software standard. This simplifies the rollout essentially.
- Software installation and software updates
- Automatic workplaces: No individual data should be stored on workplace systems. These are either coming from the directory service or from the (file-) server. In case of an update, it is possible to bring all computers back to the same status.
- Extremely cost efficient use of the network scope (WAN area) by catching, transmitting differences and if applicable intelligent server processes.
- Central server infrastructure. No servers needed in branch offices.
- time-triggered updates, if necessary over night (by means of wake-up on LAN)
- automatic inventory
- automatic hardware configuration by means of hardware recognition. If hardware recognition is not sufficient, additional information can be obtained from LDAP.
- VPN support
- Application Management:Applications can be configured specifically, so that they can only be run by certain users (LDAP specified)
- Printer Management
- Remote Desktop Sharing (for help desk functions)
- Linux Distribution independent
Other Open Source projects from dass IT
For a complete list of local wiki pages, see TitleIndex.